Ingredients 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and refrigerated ⅓ cup plus 1 tbsp (80g) white sugar ⅔ cup (150g) warm water ⅓ cup (75g) evaporated milk 2 large eggs & 1 egg yolk ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Completely dissolve the sugar in the warm water. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Roll out the pastry dough to 12 x 12 inches and cut out 9 circles using a 4 inch cookie cutter. Gently press onto tart tins and place on baking sheet.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolk, evaporated milk and vanilla together. Stir in the cooled down sugar solution. Strain the egg mixture into a large measuring cup through a fine sieve. Carefully pour into tart shells, filling to just below the rim.
- Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Please keep an eye on the tarts as they are baking. As soon as the custard starts to puff, open the oven door 2-3 inches to prevent the filling from puffing up too much and collapsing when cooled.
- Once the edges start to brown, reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the custard is done. Test the filling by inserting a toothpick into the custard; if it can stand on its own, it’s done.
(Recipe adapted from Little Sweet Baker.)