My mom loves to bake, and she’s frequently sending me photos of her latest creations as I stay in my dorm eating ramen and mac & cheese. *cries* Anyways, this time, she made Zebra Stripe Japanese Cotton Cheesecake, which looks amazingly good, so I thought I’d share it with y’all too!
Ingredients: 1/4 cup unsalted butter 250g cream cheese 1/2 cup milk 1/2 cake flour 2 tbsp cornstarch 2/3 cup sugar 5 eggs separated 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Prepare cake tin. Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of a round 12 inch springform tin with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper. Wrap two layers of foil around the tin to prevent water seeping in. Find a large baking dish that will fit the springform tin. Fill the empty baking dish 1/4 of the way full with water and place the baking dish with water (don’t put the lined springform tin in just yet) in the centre rack of an oven and switch it on to 160C/325F.
- Melt cream cheese, butter and milk and half sugar over a double boiler-use whisk to get out any lumps. Cool the mixture over an ice bath. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, 5egg yolks, mix well. Whisk 5egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in other half sugar and whisk until soft peaks form and there is no liquid egg white at the bottom.
- Add one third of the egg white mixture to the cheese mixture to loosen. Then add the rest in third batches and mix well and ensure that the egg whites are thoroughly combined gently by folding-there should be no streaks at all. Divide the batter evenly in two and in one bowl, sift the cocoa in it and combine well using a folding action.
- Take your lined springform tin and place 3 tablespoons of cream coloured batter in a circle in the centre of the tin (see picture). Then take 3 tablespoons of the chocolate batter and place in the centre. Keep adding circles and the batter will spread of its own accord.
- Carefully transfer the cheesecake into the water bath in the oven making sure not to tilt the cheesecake. Bake cheesecake in the water bath for 16min in 350f , then 16 min in 320f. Then stay in oven for 15min before take it out. Chill thoroughly, and enjoy!