What do you do when you realize you have nothing to do for the summer (except for college apps, LOL)? You make these bourbon pecan pie cupcakes!
BOURBON CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES 1 cup bourbon 1 cup canola oil 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cups sugar 3/4 tsp salt 1.5 tsp baking soda 2 eggs 2/3 cup greek yogurt
BUTTER PECAN FROSTING 1/2 stick of butter 2/3 cup heavy cream 1 cup + 2 tbsp of brown sugar 3 cups powdered sugar 1 tbsp + 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 tbsp bourbon 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 F as you line 2 standard cupcake pans with 18 liners.
2. Whisk together the bourbon, canola oil and cocoa powder until smooth and creamy. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and greek yogurt with an electric mixer. Slowly add bourbon and cocoa mixture. When mixture is smooth, add the sugar.
3. Slowly add flour, salt and baking soda while mixing on low speed.
4. Fill baking cups three-fourths full. Bake for about 18-22 minutes and let cool before frosting.
5. To make the frosting, preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with foil.
6. Melt together butter, cream and brown sugar. Boil for one minute and then remove from the heat. Pour into a bowl and place in the freezer for roughly 20 minutes.
7. Whisk together the bourbon, 1 tbsp vanilla, 2 tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon. Add pecans until mixture is even. Toast pecans in oven for ~ 10 minutes.
8. Mix everything together evenly and freeze again. When frosting is stiff, you can now frost your cupcakes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.