Couscous…simple, delicious and healthy! Great way to kick start the healthy summer lifestyle, so step up that salad game! (even though it’s mid June already…but hey, better late than never.)
1.5 cups of sliced cherry tomatoes 1 diced cucumber squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon) 1.5 tsp salt 1/4 cup fresh mint 1/4 cup fresh parsley 3/4 cup dry couscous 1 cup water 1 large strip of lemon zest 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil pinch of cayenne 1 chopped scallion
- Toss together the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of salt, and set aside while you separate the mint and parsley leaves from the stem.
- Peel one large strip of lemon zest from the lemon that you used for juice, and pour the dry couscous in another bowl.
- In a small pot, bring the water, mint and parsley stems, lemon zest, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the cayenne to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil, remove and pour over the couscous.
- Cover the couscous and let sit for 5 minutes. Afterwards, remove the stems and lemon zest.
- Stir the couscous with a fork and add the mint and parsley leaves and the chopped scallion.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Tolerant Vegan.